Welcome, Creative Writers!
Your Writing Coach is
Creative Writing for Publication
- is an honors-level course.
- receives core curriculum English credit for graduation.
- may be taken by juniors or seniors, but only once during high school.
- is designed for the serious writing student who wishes to explore
his/her own creativity.
- will teach you how to publish and receive payment for your
Creative Writing for Publication will give you the opportunity to
share your best writings with other motivated juniors and seniors. Are
you the next Hemingway or Faulkner? We hope not! This course is about
learning to find your OWN creative voice and sharing your unique
perceptions to touch the minds and hearts of other people!
Your efforts will be rewarded as you
- discover personal talents you may never have known you had.
- develop those talents you already know about.
- learn new skills that will empower you to communicate effectively.
If you are not afraid of some hard work and an incredible amount of fun,
THIS IS THE COURSE FOR YOU!
- Each student is required to type his/her writing assignments following the standard manuscript format.
- Each student must submit two copies of his/her writing assignments on the due date to receive credit.
- The student will read one copy aloud to the class.
- I will read along silently and mark the other copy with comments.
- Late work
- Class time will be given to complete most assignments. This will minimize any homework. If you require more time or need to make up absence work, of course, you will be writing at home as well as in class.
- Because class time is given to write all assignments, and because I want to simulate actual deadlines in the publishing business, NO LATE MANUSCRIPTS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Revisions are a part of the writer's life. Approaching perfection requires work. In this course, there are two kinds of revisions:
- Mandatory revisions: Sometimes students do not succeed on their first attempt at a new writing. If I deem the effort inadequate or the product inferior, I will assign a mandatory revision. Since I score the process of writing, which includes revisions, as well as the product of writing, no score will be awarded to a student until all his/her mandatory revisions are completed to my satisfaction.
- Voluntary revisions: Often a student realizes, after class discussion of his manuscript and after I have evaluated the writing, how he can improve his manuscript. If I have accepted the assignement for credit, but the student wishes to improve his writing and his score through revision, then the student will choose a voluntary revision.
Both types of revisions will receive the score of the best effort, which, of course, will be the last revision. A student may revise as many time as he/she wants until the desired score is achieved.